Monday, October 14, 2013

Traveling Europe

        I'm an Army brat. My mom married my stepdad when I was 10 year's old. My stepdad was in the Army for 6 years. When my mom married him, we were later stationed in Germany. I just turned 11 when we moved to Germany. It was a huge change for me. Before we moved, I was a little southern tomboy who lived in Georgia. When we arrived in Hanau, Germany, I couldn't believe how different it was compared to Georgia. I decided to embrace this culture change. I really wanted to adapt to their ways.

        Germans were very different. I was in shock for a while. They were very open when it came to nudity, something we definitely weren't use to. It took a while before I got use to seeing so many naked people. When we went to the swimming pools over there (Schwimmbad), they had changing rooms and lockers where you put your stuff. Well as soon as you walk in there, you will see at least 5 naked people...men, women, and very old people . . .  Oh and we all shared a locker room; they didn't have different ones for men and women,
sadly.


         They  have the coolest swimming pools.  They were like water parks but indoors. They were all salt water pools. There were pools that started inside but you could swim under this little plastic wall and go outside. During the winter it was fun to do that while it was snowing. You didn't have to worry about being cold because they were heated. There are also saunas', but if you go in them you were most likely going to be surrounded by naked people.


        There is one thing that I can't complain about . . . Their FOOD!!!! I died and went to heaven when I started trying all of their different types of food. They also had really good candy, but candy wasn't one of my favorite things. My favorite thing was their bakeries. They had the best breads and pastries. We had a little bakery right across the street from our house in Heidelberg. It was my second home. I was always there! If you ever travel to Germany, you have to try their bakeries. You won't regret it. I probably gained 30 pounds..but its ok because it was so good. 


        Another really good thing to eat over there was their Brauhaus Vetter. They serve some of the best food I've ever tasted. They make this amazing Schnitzel. It's breaded chicken or pork. They pound the meat and make it thin and then fry it. It was one of my favorite things to eat over there besides bread.


       Fast food in Europe was surprisingly very different. We ate at one of the McDonalds that was close to our house; it was so good. I'm not a huge McDonald fan, but over there it's so much better. All of their condiments taste completely different; mainly because they use sugar cane. It adds a completely different taste. They also have different foods on the menu, like potato wedges with sour cream. It was one of my our favorite things to order. Also, if you want ice in any of your drinks, you have to ask for it. Even when you ask for ice in your drink they only give you a couple cubes, not your average handful or whole cup of ice. That was one thing that my mom really didn't like.

       Germany was a great experience, I would love to go again. There isn't one thing I regret doing over there. The sights were amazing, but not as amazing as Italy. My next blog will be about my experience in Italy, mainly Venice. The place I fell in love with.

No comments:

Post a Comment